Frequently Asked Questions
- When I first start a newly created session, it is really slow
- This is because the distro runs a whole bunch of maintenance
tasks, including building the manual page index, verifying RPMs,
updating the database used by (s)locate etc. On many distros, they
don't even bother to put these at an idle priority. After a few
minutes, things should return to normal.
- How do I upgrade to a new version of user mode linux (UML)?
- If you are using UML Builder 1.30 or later, then simply install
the new version of UML. The control script will automatically
update your modules, and build a new initial ramdisk.
- How do I change the name/ip address of a session?
- With great difficulty (at least as much as running the real
distribution). Please note that the distribution tools will not
work. At worst they will just exit, and at best will have no effect,
If you want to change your networking settings, edit
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 BY HAND. You
may also need to edit your
/etc/hosts and various
other system files.