UML Builder was inspired by the
mkrootfs code that
ships with user mode linux, but set out to do a more thorough job.
Some of the points below are a contrast against
- No need for root
- There is no need to be root at any point, nor do you have to have
sudo setup. Everything is done as your userid.
- Install scripts are executed
- The install is run under UML itself. This allows all the scripts
that are part of each .rpm file to execute and make whatever changes
and updates they normally do.
- Networking is configured
- The networking for your new UML is automatically configured. Your
/etc/resolv.conf files are
also copied across.
- So are many other things
- Such as the root password, starting an X session, multiple filesystems,
controlling how many login screens appear
- A control script is created
- A script named
control is created for you. This
takes arguments such as
start, stop, mconsole, du that
let you easily control the session.